Thursday, August 12, 2010

Busy, Busy Bee



















So, I went to our local nursery yesterday to buy some flowers to put in my gardens for some late summer punch. These are 'Sonata Mix' cosmos. They are so cute, AND were 50 % off! I always get such good deals on plants towards the end of summer. These look nice and healthy too, a definate added bonus for this time of year. They also are loaded with pollen. I placed them by our garage along with some verbenas and kolhrabi plants, until I can get them planted. In just about an hour, I saw a bumble bee collecting nectar. I thought I'd snap a few of shots of these flowers since they're so pretty, then I spotted this little guy. I couldn't believe it! I've heard people say that they sometimes 'sleep' on the flower after gathering nectar before returning to their hive. I've never seen it though, what a treat! I took a few pictures before gently shaking the plant. I wasn't sure if he was dead or resting. He was definately resting, and started to fly like mad, not at me, but just as if he was in a fog. I sometimes do the same thing when I've realized I've hopelessly overslept! The bee did the same thing. I think I heard him buzz 'oh, crap~~I've got to get back home!' And then he just disappeared. I hope back to his hive. And I hope his queen was happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment