Thursday, August 12, 2010

Busy, Busy Bee






















So, I stopped by our local nursery yesterday to buy some cosmos to put in the gardens for some late summer punch. They are so pretty and bright, and were 50% off! I always find great deals towards the end of summer! These are "Sonata Mix" cosmos. They are cheery and bright, and have lots of pollen. I placed them back towards our garage and in just about an hour, I saw a bumble bee colledting nectar. A bit later, I saw this little guy, he looked like he was laying on the flower. I've heard people say that bees sometimes will sleep on the flower and not return to the hive immediately. I've never seen it, until yesterday, and was lucky to have my camera nearby! At first, I wasn't sure if it was dead or resting. I was lucky enough to get some photos, and then gently shook the flower. It was definately alive!! It started to fly like mad. Not at me, but as if it was confused as to what was happening, the way I feel when I know I've overslept. I run around the house without meaning for about thirty seconds until I become coherent. The bee did the same thing, and then just disappeared. I hope back to it's hive. That little guy worked himself to exhaustion for that nectar. I hope his queen is happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment