Monday, March 28, 2011

Strawberry - Rhubarb Delicious-ness!

Ahhh, Strawberry - Rhubarb pie. Strawberry - Rhubarb crisp. Delicious? Yes! I feel bad that it gets a bad rap sometimes. I prefer the crisps in anything, well because, they are...crispy, but my brother in law is a pie guy, so for his birthday for the last few years, we've made him a pie, with Strawberry - Rhubarb being his favorite. And it's simple. Just mix the wonderful cream (sugar, eggs, just a bit of flour and vanilla all mixed together), strawberries and rhubarb in a pie shell. (I cheated and used a store bought shell. Marie Callender's makes a nice pie crust in a sturdy pan). I got my recipe from http://www.tasteofhome.com/ . Simply Delicious...and so pretty.

I really like the crumb crust, and they are much easier than the rolled crusts. This is one that the kiddos can have fun with! I don't 'cheat' on the top crust. It has to look perfect, (or like a science experiment!) since that's the part the people see and decide whether or not to try it in the first place. Crumb crusts always turn out nice. This one combines flour, sugar and old fashioned oats, and cubed butter. Yummy.
For some reason, my pies always take on an alien planet landscape appearance. I think it's kind of funny! The crust is always the best part of the pie. The cream bubbles up through the crust, the sugar infuses with the rhubarb to make the most amazing and tasty goodness imaginable. It's actually kind of hard to describe, but in my mind, it's SO clear. Think of a nice sweet chewy candy that's savored instead of devoured, and that's the taste. Mmm....chewy, but not mushy, yummy, good. The rhubarb makes this pie.


And it makes the crisp too! See how the strawberries keep their shape, color, and sweetness. The hubby walked in the door and straight to the crisp sitting on the stove. Somehow he knew it was made for him. He immediately grabbed a spoon and started to dig in, then asked, "Umm...Can I try some of this?" It was much better than giving a birthday pie minus one slice because of a hungry hubby!


Oh, and Happy Birthday to Jeff. Hope you enjoyed your pie!

No comments:

Post a Comment