Thursday, February 28, 2013

An Apple a Day...with a Healthy Dose of Imagination! How to Keep the Doctor Away

An Apple a Day...or Two.

Wow!  Being that it has either been super cold here or raining like Noah should be building another Arc, most of us have been cooped up inside for way too long this winter!  The weather here can get quite nasty, but usually there are spells of 'lets get outside' kind of weather, but not so much this year.  Spring and Summer ~ you guys have to make up for all of this!  I can see why people in super harsh environments go stir crazy...and we aren't even in that kind of climate!  Bring on spring!  But all of this dreaming of summery days has me looking back to summer's past, and the fact that I try to get my middle daughter to eat different kinds of fruit.  She's pretty finicky when it comes to stuff like that.  She eats apples and fresh from her garden cantaloupe, and some grapes...must be red, sweet, and she usually likes the seeded ones.  That's about it on fruit!  Last night, I made her try some pineapple...and...she liked it! Yay.  But just before she tried it, she said "I eat plenty of fruit!  And apple a day...or two!"  So that got me thinkng.




This was a good day...we found so many apples.  My Mom planted these when I was a kid, and they have gotten so big.  They grow along our treeline marking the property line, and to help keep animals on their own farms!  This tree was loaded with sweet and crisp reddish apples.  I don't remember the variety, but a wonderful crisp snacking apple!



This is a golden delicious tree, and my youngest daughter's preference.  It was loaded too!



 Sometimes it's not just apples that can keep the doctor away, I think a good dose of fresh air can do wonders. No hurry, no phone, no TV or internet...just fresh air and a mind for exploration.  I love days when we can just explore!  I have no idea what this weed is, but it blooms very prolifically in the fields around the farm.  It's gorgeous, and the yellow sprays sort of cascade towards the ground.



This is an old piece of apple wood near the big old trees on the hill.  We decided that this could be passed off as an old dinosaur skeleton!  A two horned dinosaur.



Along the banks of the pond are tons of plant life.  I've always called this pig weed,  I'm not really sure of the proper name, but again, it's plentiful around here!  Garter snakes love to hid out at the base of these weeds and the water line of the pond.  We got to watch one as it was sipping some water, or at least that's what it looked like it was doing!  Snakes don't gross me out at all, they are wonderful for my garden.  I like the black rat snakes too, but they are much more likely to be found near the woods, not the pond.  Snakes are like a natural critter control!




This frog, was just floating in the middle of the pond as we walked by, motionless.  I wasn't sure if it was even alive!  We took a tight zoom shot here, so we couldn't see that he was most likely hunting the smaller tadpole in the upper left of this shot.  As it float motionless in the middle of the pond, we tossed a rock in to see if it would move, and it did...like lightning!  It wasn't until we got back to our house, and uploaded these pics, that we realized we cost him his lunch...but we did, at least, prolong the life of that little tadpole!  But we did interrupt nature...next time we see a frog floating in the pond....we'll leave it alone!

Well, I shall continue to dream of warm sunny weather and keep looking at lovely summer memories on the computer. Till next time...have a great one!











No comments:

Post a Comment